Quest Quencher

Tojam2014Tojam 2014 or Tojam 9 just wrapped up for this year. I participated at the event as I have since Tojam 5 with my team, Valiant Effort.  For those who have no idea what I’m talking about, the jam is essentially a free event that encourages people to come together and try to make some video games, or even tabletop games now.  They give us 48 hours to go from nothing to something playable. ToJam is short for “Toronto Independent Game Jam”.  More info can be found on their site here.

This year we gave a turn based grid combat RPG a shot.  The full report can be viewed here at under the Game Jam’s section.  Or if you’re too lazy to navigate back to the top of the page, just click this convenient link!

Here’s a few pics from our development and the game itself. I worked remotely this year so don’t have any actual pictures from the event.

My 3rd practice and most challenging paint yet, Ser Davos Seaworth of Game of Thrones.

Davos Seaworth

Davos’s older features proved much more difficult to tackle than Arya’s much smoother appearance. Though it was his hair that was probably the most challenging, and something I still need to work on.  White on black doesn’t seem to work out the same way as other colors. I also tried for a bit more realism in this image compared to the last two.

I kept a progress log of this paint for those that were interested. Linked below.

Davos painting progress

Davos was hard and took much longer than the others, but it paid off, I definitely learned a lot on this one.

Afterwards, 2 hour speed paint of The Hound and Arya.

The Hound and Arya


Ok, a little art update.  I’m getting to the point where the cards and research board are nearing completion for project KhanQuest.  This means the actual game board is up next.  In preparation, I decided to brush up a bit on my painting skills. – Sorry for the bad pun.  Picked my FFXIV bard as the subject for the painting, probably cause she’s awesome and a cat.

Et voilà!


Also, I need to post about Wildstar soon.

early card design for KhanQuest

A good friend of mine, Jason Khan is finally putting his board game concept in to high gear and shooting for a finished prototype. We’ll call it KhanQuest for now (working title).  Along with Rhys Yorke, I have been asked to do the games artwork.  I’ll be focusing on the game boards, cards, tokens and such, while Rhys will be creating the cover art and images of all the games units. This will be my first board game, though it isn’t as unfamiliar as I may have first thought.  I’ve done plenty of print campaigns for various marketing agencies over the years.  Surprisingly I still remember most of it.  Combine that with what I’ve learned from video games and it’s like some unholy merger of love and hate.

There is of course many challenges to look out for. The biggest being:  There’s no post-launch-day-one patch to fix all those little mistakes that slipped through publishing.  You get one shot, its gotta be perfect.  But there are advantages too. No restrictions on file size, texture quality, or which devices it’s compatible with.  As long as you have a human brain, you should be good.

I’ll be adding a page to projects for KhanQuest, and who knows maybe even Jason will pop in sometime and comment.

The above image is an early concept of the games research cards.  Yeah I know, odd for a mage to be thrown in to a tech UI but don’t worry it will all make sense. At least we hope.