The only day where we have the full day to work on the game, this is the day where most the assets have to be done. I started work on the modules for the levels, modeling then texturing them. Once those were done, I switched into design mode and began creating the level layout. Rhys got us a lot more of the unit portraits and concept art, while his wife graced us with some audio for background music. Programmers began to get all the core mechanics working and were ready to begin art asset integration.
The most important day of the Jam, when everything comes together. A lot of this day is spent with programmers yelling at you for being too slow delivering assets or for them not being delivered to specifications. After having worked with Fraser on many projects I triple check my work, but still he managed to find a problem with the module orientation, luckily it was solved quickly. My art creation was pretty much done for the Jam as I switched back in to design mode to create the level and set up the combat encounters. Rhys got us a few more portraits for the units, but unfortunately due to a tablet cable breaking, the Jinxer’s portrait never got finished. Phil K. having baby agro caused delays with the UI. I had to come up with a last minute UI design so Phil C. could set it up in engine. Fraser integrated all the art assets, coached everyone through troubleshooting issues and continued work on the gameplay.
Day 3 came to a close, the final hours spent making sure the bare minimum was present and that hopefully everything worked. We compiled the game and hooray, it ran! It has its bugs of course, on both the programming and art side. The lighting is all over the place, as I ran out of time to fix the lightmaps. The characters and units are just cubes with their appropriate portraits (except the ones that didn’t get done.) This is less a bug though, as it was a choice. Creating 3d models for the characters and npc’s with our limited team size and time was just not possible. The health and action point bars weren’t reporting accurate values, only 100% or 0, that made things a bit more challenging when playing. Some of the abilities didn’t work, or didn’t work as intended, but for the most part it came together and was playable. I made it through a few encounters before my gladiator was killed. I didn’t see it coming due to the health bug mentioned previously, though I knew things were probably bad when he was surrounded by a wraith and 4 skeletons!
Much fun was had through development, and we’re proud of what we accomplished in the set time window. We’ll probably polish it up a little, then I’ll see if I can post a link to download it here…
…in case anyone needs to slake their thirst for adventure!
The future for Quest Quencher still remains to be decided. Here’s a few gameplay screens. Apologies for them being a bit blurry, I wasn’t running the game at native resolution when I took them. These are also from the morning after, so the health bars and DMG reporting was fixed.